Monday, April 9, 2007

What would you give?

to play one round at Augusta? This is what CC and I discussed as we played Bethpage Red on 4/6 (the Black opens on 4/13). It has to be a sacrifice that money can't replace. So, no cars, houses or anything like that. We were thinking more along the lines of bodily harm or spending time in prison. It also depends on your relationship with golf. I am not a good golfer but I love the game so much that I am a glutton for the punishment it inflicts upon me round after round. Despite not even being able to flirt with a sub 80 round in my life (or even a sub 95 lately), I have an insatiable appetite to play the finest courses in the land. And it gets no finer than Augusta. Pebble is close to my heart because of my Northern Cali ties but that huge ocean and those winds intimidate me more than the spirit of Bobby Jones ever could. Every time I watch The Masters I become mesmerized by the azalea flanked greens, fairways so perfect they look like carpet, and pine straw so smooth and uniform that it must actually feel good to hit out of the trees. Plus did you know they close the course from May-October?! How would you like to own a course that is so pimp you actually CLOSE it in the SUMMER?!

So what would you sacrifice? I was thinking about a pinky finger or toe in the spirit of one of my all time favorite 49ers, Ronnie Lott but then thought of how crappy I'd feel if I lost a pinky finger or toe then shot a 123. CC said he would get 'Augusta' tatted on his back, across his shoulders in Olde English style font (ala Brad Nowell of Sublime). I agreed to get the Augusta logo tatted on my left breast but I don't think that is hard-core enough. But of course if you don't even like golf I'm sure all of this sounds a bit silly.

By the way, the Masters was boring this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Closing Augusta in the summer is an act of self-importance akin to covering your expensive living room furniture with plastic. Okay, fine, you win, your furniture is nice, but now we're all standing. I mean, soldering your ass hole shut will ensure you never shit your pants, but when you start farting out of your mouth the world is gonna realize you're a total fucking tool.

Anonymous said...

Okay fine, I'm just jealous I can't play there.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be a member of Augusta so I can invite CC and Khaki to play. I would even pay for their tattoos!

Special K said...

Give me your number Mr. Anonymous so I can take you up on your offer!