Friday, April 13, 2007

Above the Upper West Side

I'm just over a month away from the Ford Ironman 70.3 Florida. (Fun fact: 70.3 is exactly 1/2 the distance of a full Ironman and also the number of miles traveled during 3 events: 1.2-mile swim; 56-mile bike; 13.1-mile run)

Recently I've devoted quite a bit of time to long, multi-sport workouts so I can get used to how my body feels in the transitions. The other day, I swam 1.5-miles and then hopped on my bike. Riding up the west side highway, I passed the George Washington Bridge and approached the northern end of the island when my front tire burst.

Without a patch kit or spare tube (I did have a CO2 cartridge to fill a spare tube if I had it), I started walking back. After about 20 minutes, I decided I needed to find a cab. Walking away from the Hudson River, I found myself at 181st Street and to my surprise, the A-train station at 181st. Has anyone ever been this far up the island? Who lives there??

Anyway, I didn't really want to find out how much a cab ride from 181st to 4th Street would cost so I was glad to try my hand with the subway. With no wallet, I pitched the subway attendant to let me on for free.

When I explained the situation, the attendant let out a whooping laugh and exclaimed "You live in the West Village??!! You're fucked...good thing I'm helping you out. Ha!"

No comments: