Monday, April 30, 2007

Cheating Fuquans

Saturday night found me at a really nice, outdoor deck party on Houston and 6th Avenue. With booze flowing freely, insecurity about my own deck in the Village started to creep into my subconscious. We don't have a trelice. Nor do we have the nice wooden furniture or cool elegant lighting. Or plants for that matter.

Just as I was spiraling into despair, a classmate hits me with this serious text message:
"34 Fuquans caught cheating on decision models. on abc.com. Sucks."

I can't find the abc.com article, but here's the local Raleigh report. Would love to hear other thoughts out there.

Some notable commentary from email chains I've seen:
"People have been pretty down on the ‘08s this year for a variety of reasons, which is probably a longer conversation. But my thought is that theirs is just the class that got caught doing something that in one form or another happens year-in and year-out." --current '07 student

"Did they miss the part of orientation where they explain that everyone passes and grades don't matter?" --'04 alumna

"I’ve long suspected various groups of walking on the Honor Code when no one’s looking. My understanding is that this sting struck deep within one particular community of international students, but that’s not been in any way confirmed." --current '08 student

"J.B. Fuqua rolling in his grave..." --'06 alumna

"I have no idea why people still try to do this….of course that might be because for all the one’s that get caught many get away with it." --'05 alumna

Incidentally, Decision Models is going to become an elective next year. Which brings up a whole slew of follow-on questions. At the top of my list is: how are future students going to project the number of attendees at a wedding without the knowledge of crystal ball? and a close second: without the power of excel solver, how will future Fuqua summer interns differentiate themselves?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why are you still dwelling on the past? get over yourself. you graduated. live in the now!

Anonymous said...

UPDATE: Nine of the students received a penalty of expulsion, 15 received a one-year suspension and a failing mark in the class involved, nine received a failing mark in the class and one received a failing mark on an assignment.

I say EXPEL THEM ALL!!

Anonymous said...

Why do international students love to cheat so much? It's fun but not that fun.

g luv said...

Isn't there some saying that all PR is good PR?

Anyway, it sounds like the New York Times is going to run something on this. And I'm sure it'll be followed by the Wall Street Journal and Businessweek.

Anyone want to place a bet on whether the Economist will mention it?

Anonymous said...

meanwhile, check out what the SY's are doing/saying: http://www.axml.net/fuquatimes/article.asp?aid=158&iid=32&sud=45

Anonymous said...

I'm disgusted. This hurts the reputation of the school and the reputation of my degree. For this many students to be wrapped up in this is an absolute embarrassment. There have been articles in many of the dailies around the country on this. I don't want to hear any current students bitchin about not being ranked higher in some survey. No one to blame but themselves.